Gluten-Free, grain-free banana bread
You guys!!!! I made a gluten-free, grain-free banana bread that actually tastes good!! (I tested it out on a friend and he liked it :)). I used this recipe from Slim Palate as inspiration and then modified it to use ingredients that I had on hand, and to make it a little lighter in calories and fat. My version didn’t rise as much as the original version, but it still tastes great. Since it doesn’t rise as much, I’m thinking it might be better to make it in a shallow, brownie pan and cut into squares or bars instead of slices. I made mine in a loaf pan and so the slices are pretty small – but they’re great as a quick pre-workout snack or a snack with some coffee.
If you cut the loaf into 12 slices, each slice is about 100 calories, 4 g fat, 14 g carbohydrate and 4 grams protein (So you could definitely have 2-3 slices for breakfast!).
1/2 cup cashew flour (can use almond flour instead)
1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe, mashed bananas
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Tablespoon date syrup or honey
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup eggbeaters or egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F, and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon).
3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, then add in the other wet ingredients (oil, vanilla, date syrup or honey, eggs, egg whites (or egg beaters), applesauce) and mix until combined and there are no lumps in the batter.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until you have a smooth batter, without any lumps.
5. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 35-40 mins, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (Check the loaf after 35 minutes since cooking times may vary depending on your oven and material of the loaf pan).
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan; cool for another 20 minutes before slicing and devouring!
Nutrition Information per slice (for 12 slices): 101 calories, 4 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein